Vilnius is the capital and the biggest city of Lithuania with a population of ~ 500 000 habitants.
Lithuania is part of the European Union and Schengen zone, so most of the travellers don’t need visa to travel or transit trough Lithuania. You check the list of countries whose citizens can travel visa free here.
In 2015 Lithuania changed the currency from Litas to Euro which makes it easy to travel in Lithuania. If you need to exchange currency there only few places to do so. However, you can easily pay by card pretty much everywhere. Even some guide on Vilnius Free tour accepts card payments 🙂
Currency exchange in Vilnius
- Vilnius Bus station (Sodų g. 22) – EXCHANGELT.
- Vilnius Train station (Geležinkelio g. 6) – Top Exchange
- Old Town (Aušros Vartų g. 3) – EXCHANGELT
Vilnius Airport to Vilnius
Vilnius airport is situated 7 km away from the old city. You can easily reach it by public transport, taxi or uber. To find the best route just use Google maps or Trafi app. You can also find a detailed description here.
Tipping in Vilnius and Lithuania
Tipping in Lithuania is common in restaurants. We usually leave ~10% depending how you enjoyed the service. More info here
- Medieval summer festivals: https://vilniuswithlocals.com/activities/post/relive-history-in-medieval-festivals
- Vilnius’s events: http://www.vilnius-events.lt/en/